Objectives for the Travelling Fellowship in Japan:
My objectives when planning my 5-week Churchill Travelling Fellowship in Japan
were as follows:
1. to visit and learn from practitioners in Japan who are trying many ways of
supporting people living with dementia.
2. to look at community initiatives which support people with dementia and
their family carers together.
3. to see examples of work involving reminiscence and the arts, especially
drama work directly involving older people, and reminiscence training for
professionals and family members.
4. to visit inter-generational projects and see whether older people with
dementia are able to make positive links and relationships with children in
schools, university students and younger workers.
5. to use what I will have learned in Japan to strengthen our "Remembering
Yesterday, Caring Today" project in the UK and in Europe, incorporating, in
culturally appropriate ways, the strongest ideas and best practice observed on